Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Normal Animals: Restrained and Decent

The “Town of Normal Historical Data and Town Charter” lists, under the Legislative Powers of the Council:

“To restrain, regulate or prohibit the running at large of cattle, horses, sheep, swine, goats and other animals, and to authorize the distraining, impounding, and sale of the same, and to prohibit the indecent exhibition of horses and other animals.”

(I had to look up “distraining” in my old, but very useful dictionary. It means “to coerce or punish by levying a distress.”)

Other than twice seeing deer crossing Raab Road, I have not seen animals running “at large” in Normal. So I guess the Council is on top of that issue.

I’m not sure I want to know what “indecent exhibition” refers to. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment